I recently shared on Facebook that I’ve been watching World Cup matches online via live streaming. A lot of friends asked how and so here’s a quick guide to watch the matches online for free even if you are outside of the US (like Singapore, for instance).
1. Download and Install A VPN (Virtual Private Network)
There are a number of free and paid VPNs but I personally like and use CyberGhost which is affordable and reliable with great service. It costs about US$5.90 per month (payable on an annual basis).
After the payment is done, a download link with username/password is sent. Just follow the simple step-by-step instructions to install.
2. Log on to a server in the US
Start CyberGhost and you’ll see a screen as shown below.
- Change the “Simulated Country” to USA and choose an appropriate IP address (highlighted in red)
- Click the “Connect” button (highlighted in blue)
3. Log on to Univision Deportes
Go to http://deportesenvivo.univision.com/, choose the match of your choice and watch.
4. Hook your computer or mobile device to the TV (optional)
Optionally, use HDMI or Chromecast to hook your computer or mobile device to your TV for a big screen experience.
PS: The commentary is in Spanish but the language of football is universal. I think you’ll love the Spanish commentators especially when they scream “goooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllll”
Beware of dodgy sites claiming to stream World Cup matches. Here’s an article on Washington Times on why you should avoid shady World Cup streaming sites.